Practical driving test can be done as soon as the applicant gets the provisional driving licence. It depends on the driver’s practice sessions to go towards the final step. The applicant must pass the theory and practical driving test to get the full licence.
Before the applicant takes the practical driving test, theory test has to be passed. The two part theory test puts the knowledge for spotting hazards and the Highway Code.
The two part of a theory test are:
- Multiple choices.
- Hazard perception.
The documents needed to bring at the driving theory test are:
- Current passport and signed driving licence. (Only if the applicant has an old-style paper licence).
- Photo provisional driving licence because without it the test would be cancelled with no refund.
Change in theory test appointment:
The applicant can shift the date to later, or find an early date and also change the test centre.
UK licence number is required to change the test.
The applicant should make changes three working days prior to the actual date or pay again.
Theory test appointment detail:
In case the applicant accidentally deletes email or loses the confirmation, the test centre address or date and time can be checked from the online services.
Cancelling the theory test:
Applicant must cancel the theory test at least three working days prior to the test date.
The practical test makes sure the applicant can drive safely and confidently on different roads. And also has a sound knowledge of The Highway Code (shown how the car is driven).
The test normally lasts up to 40 minutes.
Documents mentioned below are needed at the time of driving test:
- A valid passport
- Theory test pass certificate or a confirmation number.
- Both parts of the driving licence.
Theory test certificate:
If the theory test certificate is lost, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency DVSA must be contacted with applicants name and driving licence number. A letter will be sent for the applicant to take during the test.
Change in appointment:
- Appointment can be changed up to 6 times.
- Applicant must change the date at least before 3 working days.
- UK licence number and test reference number is required.
In case the applicant accidentally deletes email or loses the confirmation, the test details and time can be checked. The service is available between 6 am-11:40 pm.
Cancel the test:
Applicant gets a full refund if test is cancelled at least before three working days.
Full Driving Licence:
The final stage is to apply for the full driving licence once the practical test is passed.
If the applicant has a photocard provisional driving licence and there’s no change in the name or address, the examiner will send the test pass certificate to the DVLA.
Full driving licence is delivered within 3 weeks.
Address or a name change
If the applicant had a name change or an address change after getting the provisional licence, or has a paper provisional licence, following documents have to be submitted by the post:
- Filled D1 application for a driving licence. It is available at selected Post offices and DVLA form ordering Service.
- Fill in the declaration on driving test past certificate.
- Valid UK passport or another document proving identity (only original documents will be considered).
- Passport style photograph (in case of a paper provisional only).
Documents should be sent to the DVLA on the following address:
Note: Driving test pass certificate and documents must be sent to the DVLA within 2 years of passing or the applicant will have to retake the test.